Once 35 years ago I discovered the westernmost recorded breeding location of Swainson’s warblers ever recorded (yes, I’m that guy cool ) TPWD was relatively excited.

A visiting Ornithology Professor had never seen one so out we went. The Southern population of Swainson’s warblers breeds in dense brush along intermittently flooded, muddy streams and drainages, walking around on the ground flipping over leaves and debris with its beak to find food. This was June; hot, humid, mosquitoes, chiggers and ticks.

We spent two hours belly crawling around after a singing male, friggin bird kept moving away just out of sight. Finally the Professor says “screw this”, pulls out a tape recorder (remember them?) and plays a Swainson’s warbler track.

No sooner did he turn it on than the bird zooms right at him, struck his hat at then sat on a twig two feet over his head, singing away while looking around for the intruder (turns out Swainson’s warblers don’t mess around. Who knew?).

Anyhoo, the question I have is, was that unethical?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744