Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good job on those porcine!

I had tp start carrying a decent sized roll of old rolled up net wire to tie the hog snares to. Anchored a couple close to fences before that, and they'd tear the heck out of the fence.

When I went to securing it to the roll of net wire, I'd just throw the net wire down by the fence, and when snared the hog would drag that net wire away from the fence. They usually didn't get far before the wire hang up...

Thanks for the links, GW! I'm probably gonna order some from Boarmasters.

Don't know if I have any here at the house made up. However what I do is go to Harbor Freight and buy a 100 ft. roll of 1/8" aircraft cable, as it is cheap there. E-Rigging on the net that sells wire rope clips for
$0.15 +/- each. I think the same clips are $0.78 at Lowes or Home Depot.

https://www.e-rigging.com/malleable-wire-rope-clips

I make a 10 foot leader and make a loop at each end with about a 6" opening secured by two wire rope clips per loop. I then use a quick link to connect the leader and the snare. Most times with big boars they booger up the snare to the point it can only be used once, or sometimes you have to cut the snare cable if you can't get to the cam lock. It is much quicker changing out the snare/leader combo with the quick links.

https://www.e-rigging.com/Zinc-Plated-Quick-Links_c_3862.html

I don't connect to fence posts. Typically there is a juniper or live oak of sufficient diameter to attach the snare to. By making your loop with a 6" opening you can wrap the loop around your point of attachment and then run the snare and leader through the loop, then set. I do keep small diameter stainless wire or twist ties to secure the snare. The snares from boarmasters have a plastic sleeve about the diameter of a soda straw. Take tie wire and wrap it around your fence wire and poke the end of the wire though this plastic sleeve and bend it accordingly to position your snare. There are any number of vids on YouTube in regards to setting snares for hogs.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.