Gentlemen. I discussed your game bullet choices with the Tech Reps at Sierra sometime back. They, the makers, don't recommens them for big game, at all.
<br> What I was told is to get true expansion, the impact velocity has to be on the order of 2300-2400 fps. Anything slower, and expansion is erratic, and the bullet has a tendency to tip over.
<br> Jacket thickness is only one quality. Core composition is another, as well as jacket hardness, etc.
<br> Shooting a deer at close range with a magnum proves nothing. Those bullets have been used for years by many. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If you want to put up with their lack of consistancy-by using an extra powerfull magnum-that's your call. But I submit there are many far better designs availiable for game shooting. I mean, do you really need the so called accuracy edge under 500 yds ? I doubt it.
<br> I know, quite well, a couple of guys that use 7mm-300 Wbys to shoot deer at ranges up to 800 yds. They use the Nosler Partition. E
<br>