Hello
<br>
<br>For what it's worth. Since this is a Longrange thread and we want to answer as best we can all questions as to what we have found.
<br>
<br>It has been mentioned, the most accurate bullet for the LONGRANG hunter to date and at a very good price, is the Sierra MK. We must include the Jenson bullets here also.
<br>The jackets on the MKs are thicker then some of the so called hunting bullets.
<br>
<br>At excess range any other bullet including the Noslers will simply NOT shoot as flat AND accurate as the MK because of the lower bullet BC of the hunting style bullets. Your buddy may do just fine at 500 yards but, when he reaches on out, he will see a complete difference in bullet flight between the MK and the Partition EVEN AT THE SAME SPEED.
<br>
<br>At close range, with the 280 or 270, I have never had a problem using the MK.
<br> At extreme longrange out to 2100 yards on elk the same results. Small entrance hole and large exit holes from the size of a grapfruit to that of a vollyball.
<br>
<br>Have only recovered 2 Mks from elk (the rest penitrated all the way through) that were on the far side of the animal and just under the skin. They were mushroomed as perfect as any so called hunting bullet you have ever seen.
<br>
<br>I have a VERY good friend that is a ballistics tech at Sierra (Rich Markholz) and he knows exactly what we do with the Sierra MK. He gave My wife and I a very nice tour of the plant several years ago. The reason they say their MKs are not reccommended for game is;
<br>1. They don't want the average hunter without the proper equipment, barrel twists and experiance to use them and possibly have negative results. We try for bullet placement into the vital area (always and at any range) and never shoot at a running animal as I have seen many short range hunters do. This is how bullets get a bad rap.
<br>2. They probably don't want to loose their hunting line of bullets when people find out how good the MK really works. (My opinion).
<br>
<br>Have used them for many years in several calibers at short and long range and they have not failed me or ANY of my short or longrange friends that have used them .
<br>
<br>If you haven't tried them, you would not realize or know how good they really perform and to make a comparison, I have.
<br>
<br>As a matter of fact, I have just been sent Barnes bullets for testing and they are like any other so called hunting bullets as per the lower BC. Testing is not complete yet.
<br>
<br>Later
<br>Darryl Cassel