Somebody (I don't recall who) asked why the LR hunters shoot animals standing broad side. To me, it is very logical to shoot big game animals as they are "standing" broad side. Quite simply, I offers the largest target area.
<br>
<br>I am not a LR hunter compared to Darryl, Boyd, WY and others that kill large game at ranges most wouldn't or couldn't even fathom. My abilities are limited to 650 yards on whitetail deer. I ALWAYS wait for the "Standin Still" broadside shot for the simple reason it offers the largest area. I do "try" to put the bullet right behind the shoulder, giving me a double lung shot. In the past 3 years all of my kills on deer (at what I consider long range) have been double lung shots. Every single bullet (at long range) has exited. I use 180gr ballistic tips out of a 300 win mag.
<br>
<br>On another note I use 52gr berger bullets out of my 22 CHeetah for killing woodchucks. It is true that one time the bullet will "pencil hole" and another time it will EXPLODE but, it should be added that in every case the woodchuck died. I have had rather short shots (out to 200 yards) where that bullet went in and didn't exit at all, resulting in instant death to the woodchuck.
<br>
<br>Would I use that bullet for deer? Damned straight I would. Hit in the neck, the deer is going to drop like a rock. Although I don't generally go for a neck shot on deer with my 300 win mag I wouldn't hesitate using the 22 caliber. The neck of a deer is a larger target then the entire body of a woodchuck. With my scope set at 24X the neck of a deer sure looks like a HUGE target area.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]
<br>

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove