Darryl, thank you for a straight reply. You said:
<br>--------
<br>"I can't agree with your statemnet that we are more likely to wound one and "it get away " because, it has "NEVER" happened to us and I honestly have not seen it happen.
<br>If I had, I would agree with your statement.
<br>I have seen it happen at short range though."
<br>----------
<br>
<br>So what you are saying is that in spite of stats and odds, you won't agree that it could happen if it hasn't happened to you.
<br>
<br>You are also saying that you can beat the odds of missing or wounding at long range, but that short range hunters cannot overcome the lower odds they face, since you've seen animals wounded at short range.
<br>
<br>We already agreed that the odds of non-ideal bullet placement go up at long range, at least on targets. The mathematical probablility doesn't change when the cross hairs move from paper to venison, so a wounded animal is more likely, at least statistically. Let's hope you can continue to beat those odds. That's what every shot is about, beating all the factors that favour a miss.
<br>
<br>Regarding experience and your mention of bowhunting and short range hunting, etc. don't assume you are talking to a bunch of barefoot boys with a broken stocked .22. Fellows who post here include military range instructors, guys who guide for dangerous game, market hunters who observed cartridge and bullet performance on thousands of big game animals, and a lot more shooting experiences. I'm an amateur among these guys but I've taken big game with weapons from an Osage Orange bow to magnum rifles, at ranges from 4 inches to about 800 yards, from Mexico to the Yukon border and most places between. Around such a crew, it is usually wiser to say something like, "This is what I have observed, and this is my experience," rather than, "This is how it is."
<br>
<br>I'm probably going to drift out of this. It's become corrosive, an utter waste of time, and the issues are getting belaboured. You guys have your minds set in concrete on a few subjects, including how open minded you are. I think I understand where you are coming from, Darryl, and wish you good shooting.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>