Big Stick has it right: vital size is the same at any range. I said nothing about offhand in my original proposal and I figured both ranges would be fired from the same rest. I rarely shoot offhand at any range, though a bull elk I powder burned was offhand as I spun out of his way. The point of the test was to eliminate all variables except the range, since range is the real issue. That's why I had the same person doing the shooting. So the targets are the same size, the shooter uses the same rifle and scope and shoots from whatever position he chooses so long as it is the same for both ranges . What size target doesn't matter, whether a paper plate or a life sized cutout. I didn't envision any spotter rounds either, just one shot per target, but I guess I could give that much advantage to the long range target. And I'd even go for two shooters. As soon as we want a spotter round, MOA targets or any other edge, we are admitting the long range target is far more difficult to hit and that the odds of a miss are greater. Such a bet is more like investing than gambling, and the application to hunting shots is...