I find the neck shot to be the worst crippler of game ever. If you hit the spine it will drop like a bag of potatoes. If you hit too high, you do nothing but give a nasty wound that the animal will die of infection from. If you hit too low and don't get one of the arteries, you give it another wound it will die slowly and painfully from.
<br>
<br>The hunters I know who use the neck shot say they use it to reduce damaged meat. My advice to them is a lung shot. How much meat is on a rib? Is it worth crippling an animal to save a pound or two of meat. Besides, are they going to starve if they don't get that extra 2 pounds of meat?
<br>
<br>A guy I work with shot a moose a few years back in the neck. Instant drop. While he was digging out his camera, the moose jumped up and ran off. He trailed it for over 2 miles but never found it. I guess he was worried about only having 700 pounds of meat instead of 702lbs. Over the years, he has lost several other animals because of the neck shot. Of course, he claims it is the only shot to take and will not change. Go figure.
<br>
<br>I prefer to put my animal down as quickly as possible with the highest percentage shot. I don't shoot animals in the neck or in the butt because, frankly, I'm not starving and don't need the meat that bad. I still shoot my 5 or 6 animals every year just fine using a shoulder or lung shot. My kids aren't starving yet.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.