Critters are of the same size vitals at 100yds,as they are at any other range. Choose an "average" vitals size,for a given class of Game and both men shoot for the vitals,via the two different trains of thought.
<br>
<br>I am a realist and know an Elk is a much easier target at 100yds,than at 1500yds.
<br>
<br>That being said,a first round hit in the vitals at 1500yds even with the aid of a spotter round,is pretty good shooting.
<br>
<br>My point is,the guy Hunting Elk presented with a 100yd shot,isn't threading the poke into an Elk's 2.4" vitals. Vitals are vitals,regardless of distance. They should be equated in that manner.
<br>
<br>Were you boys to get serious,I think a lifesize silhouette target of plywood or such,would be the best means of determining a meaningful hit. A 24" outline of the vitals could be marked in a slightly different color,so as to mark the scoring region,without actually aiding sight enhancement. I've never seen an Elk with a target on his side. So it is more than shooting at a given size target,it is doing so within the proper anatomical region,so as to replicate a typical kill shot. A hit in the outlined vitals,is a kill. One outside is simply a miss,but should be weighed heavily against total score in a string of shots,as it is a wounding shot. It should be scored as a penalty.
<br>
<br>I think that best represents actual field conditions. I've made plywood lifesize silhouettes and it adds another dimension to practice.
<br>
<br>Food for thought..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."