Okanagan
<br>
<br>Thanks for the information.
<br>
<br>A 22 on an elk??? There are indeed slob hunters in every style of hunting.
<br>We always try to help the new LR hunter with caliber information so they are not trying to stretch the yardage with a particular calber that won't do the job. The caliber selection is key to the range we shoot.
<br>
<br> My 338/416 Ridgy Improved with 300 gr MK bullets coming out of my 37" barrel at 3300 FPS has more energy left at 1000 yards then 300 Win mags with 180 Gr bullets have at 100 Yards. This is killing power at LR.
<br>
<br>THat's the information I was looking for on your 800 Yard shot, he reared up and then dropped with a heart hit.
<br>I have seen this happen on one Bull in Colorado. A nice 5X5 hit through both shoulders (in excess of 1000 yards) reared up and walked on his hind legs about 4 or 5 steps and then rolled down the mountain 100 yards through the oak brush. Several others just simply dropped when hit. Had one take the shock of the bullet in the side and the whole body just quivered. It backed up 3 steps and laid down at which time we put another shot into it. When hit through one shoulder or both, they drop like a ton of bricks and that would be with the long or short range shooter. We have taken about 25 elk now in Colorado and I hope we can make it another 25 before I can't do it any longer.
<br>
<br>The animals react different at all ranges but, when hit at LR they don't run at all like some may think. I hate to keep repeating that but, it's true. I think you saw that in your heart hit elk at 800 yards.
<br>
<br>I appreciate the information on your shots and have seen simalarities also.
<br>
<br>Thanks again
<br>Darryl
<br>
<br>
<br>