Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Brisket isn't that hard if done correctly...sloowww
I used a couple of rubs I concocted,pepper and coffee based
rub generously then put on the smoker fat side down for a couple hours then into the oven to finish at 225 degrees, place directly on the oven rack with a drip pan underneath. I shoot for an internal temp of 195 degrees....usually at 160 degrees you want to foil it and add some apple juice or beef broth to keep it moist as it cooks thru the stall period,although I didn't foil the 2 I made in Tenn.
The reason I used the oven was the monster smoker they provided was hard to get to temperature and maintain without sitting infront of it for 10 hours. At home I'll cook it on the Big Green Egg for the whole cook

Is your brisket first cut or second cut?

Fat side down in the smoker, not up? Also, how hot is your smoker for that first two hours?

Uh ... "stall period"? Whazzat?

- Tom

Bob bought if for us he called it Texas style,looked like a whole packer cut in half
Yes Fat side down!
Stall period is something that occurs when doing brisket or pork butt slow....everything is cooking and temps are steadily rising until you get to around 160-170 degrees...
At that point it will "stall" and just remain at that temperature for a couple hours or so(every piece of meat is different) Don't panic this is normal, a chemical process is occuring and the meat is breaking down and becoming tender...ride it out it will come out of the stall and get to your desired temperature. Also when cooked let it rest before cutting

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT