Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Following scientific principles can never lead a man to become an Atheist. BTW, a man has to BECOME an Atheist just as he becomes a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or any other religion.

A man adopts a religion in response to a prompting from within himself.

He becomes an Atheist by denying that prompting, probably because he interprets it as a threat to his Self, which it is.

Any Scientist worthy of the name knows there are things which can only be experienced and are not suitable for scientific investigation. Such as Love, for instance. It is real and it's effects are observable, but it can't be quantified or analyzed.

So, demanding "evidence" for the existence of a Higher Power is a cop out.

You might as well demand dehydrated water when you are thirsty.

NO...

Love is absolutely studied via the scientific method. We've even been able to determine what parts of the brain it stimulates and what chemical releases are caused. So this is an experience for which we have evidence.

You gave the answer I expected.

You see it's effects, but..... can you duplicate it in a laboratory?

Can you find its source?

And.... as usual, you ignore the basic claim I made which is that science cannot lead you to Atheism.

So all your appeals to science brand you as a phony.

You CHOSE Atheism.

Can you tell us why?

As I've explained before. I reject your theistic claims because it is not supported with evidence.

You are also an atheist toward a thousand god. I'm just an atheist toward 1000 +1.... or +3 depending on your position on the Trinity.

But I'm also an aleprechaunist, an aunicornist, abigfootist, aNessyist, adragonist, and amermaidist, all for the same reason, a lack of evidence for their existence.

Guess you missed my earlier post regarding why people with high IQ's have no need for the proposition either. To save you the trouble of looking, I'll repost it for you:

The final explanation is that intelligence provides whatever functions religion does for believers. There are four such functions as proposed by Zuckerman, Silberman, and Hall.

First, religion provides people a sense of control. This was demonstrated in a series of studies conducted between 2008 and 2010, which showed that threatening volunteers’ sense of personal control increased their belief in God. This may be because people believe that God makes the world more predictable and thus less threatening. Much like believing in God, higher intelligence has been shown to grant people more “self-efficacy,” which is the belief in one’s ability to achieve goals. So, if intelligent people have more control, then perhaps they don’t need religion in the same way that others do.

Second, religion provides self-regulation. In a 2009 study, it was shown that religion was associated with better well-being. This was interpreted as an indication that religious people were more disciplined in pursuing goals and deferring small rewards for large ones. Separately, a 2008 meta-analysis noted that intelligent people were less impulsive. Delayed gratification may require better working memory, which intelligent people have. So, just like before, intelligence is acting as a substitute for religion, helping people delay gratification without needing divine interventions.

Third, religion provides self-enhancement. A 1997 meta-analysis compared the intrinsically religious, who privately believe in the supernatural, to the extrinsically religious, where people are merely part of a religious group without believing in God. The intrinsically religious felt better about themselves than the general public. Similarly, intelligent people have been shown to have a sense of higher self-worth. Again, intelligence may be providing something that religion does.

Last, and possibly the most intriguing, is that religion provides attachment. Religious people often claim to have a personal relationship with God. They use God as an “anchor” when faced with the loss of a loved one or a broken relationship. Turns out intelligent people find their “anchor” in people by building relationships. Studies have found that those who score highly on measures of intelligence are more likely to be married and less likely to get divorced. Thus, intelligent people have less need to seek religion as a substitute for companionship.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/23/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell