I’ve read several reports but did not read the hunter’s perspective on the whole thing that was linked here; regardless, it’s a tragedy for too many and also really not completely preventable short of having no grizzlies prowling about. And I would not want that either.

It seems the guide had a Glock that was found somewhere nearby and apparently the hunter had a handgun also — so there were two handguns that were not put into action, or, did the guide get off any shot(s)? I can fully understand if not, and even if so, two very experienced DG guys carrying 458’s could be ambushed and one killed in seconds in some scenario.

I’ve also read that there was “bear spray” present but I don’t know if it was used. Regardless, does anyone believe, or want to bet his life, that this apparently very motivated grizzly, that attacked two guys probably in seconds, then returned to the first and killed him (was he already deceased?), before dragging his body off almost a quarter of a mile, would have been deterred by some pepper spray?

I’ve already speculated a bit, but even if there is the time to reach for something, I’m not reaching for any bear spray.