For those condemning the hunter, he probably has no experience with bears. He found himself in the middle of what is probably one of the most terrifying scenarios in which a human being can find himself. It's easy to judge his actions, after the fact, from the safety of our homes or offices as we read this thread and type away. Even foresight of what we should do and could do in anticipation of the possibility of a grizzly attack can in no way prepare one for the shear terror we may face. The hunter reacted in a manner that many on this forum may. I'm sure he, after the fact, in a cool headed, non adrenalin and panic filled state, is probably saying to himself, some of the same things as are being said here about him and what he should have done. He is not unique among even otherwise brave and cool-headed men who have behaved in a "questionable manner" when faced with high-stress panic-laden situations.

I have had several bear encounters while hunting. Coming across a grizzly at close range really does create instant panic, moreso than even combat. Each situation I faced was resolved without me becoming dinner. The closest I've come to my own demise is while bowhunting I got between a momma black bear and two cubs. I thank heaven that once I discovered my predicament I was able to gather my wits quick enough to drop my bow and climb a tree just before she began her charge.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 09/18/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ