Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
[quote=GregW][quote=BobMt][quote=Angus1895]No blame game here. And I have not read all the pages. But an observation.......

There is a definite downside to sticking an arrow in an Elk in the afternoon. Bone soured in the morning......plus a grizzly buffet!

Afternoon thermals can also be wish washy.

if the elk was shot in the afternoon, and gotten to the next day.....it was more than likely spoiled.......at that point you need to assume, a bear will be on it.......lets wait and see what smokepole has to say....he should be able to google...spoiled elk, and grizzly bear....and get back to us.....bob

Could have died overnight and the meat be fine...

They gotta go see regardless...
Greg, Elk are very bad about spoiling since they are so thick, and in mild temps, you have to get them open ASAP. The neck is the first to go with it being under the cape, and no avenue for the heat to escape.

You can leave one on the mountain overnight to retrieve the next day, but only after you field dress, wash blood out of the cavity and off the meat, situate the rear legs open to get air into the cavity, "and" the evening temps and into the next morning "have to be" cold enough to protect the meat from spoilage.

Laughing....

Not near my first rodeo my man but thanks for the pointers....laughing...
And I'm supposed to know that when you make your very vague statement, "Could have died overnight and the meat be fine..." with zero clarification? Yeah, I'm laughing at how you think somebody is supposed to just fill in the blanks you left...laughing here bud.

The neck is the first to go as it's under the cape? What about the rest of it under the cape that's a bit thicker than the neck? Laughing...
The laugh is on you making a fool out of yourself here while you fail to mention the rest of what I said. I went on to discuss the rest of it under the cape that's a bit thicker than the neck while telling how you need to field dress it. Are you really that mentally bankrupt to lower yourself to the level of these other mentally bankrupt degenerates here?

If you leave a track job of an alive critter overnight not to bump, which often times is the only chance of recovery, time of death may occur at any point meaning that when you find critter the next morning, time of death might have been not too long previously and with a beating heart, meat is bueno....
Really? I believe I covered that already:
The guide had to have known it was a 99.9% chance they would just find green meat.

My only thought here is the guide, knowing it was a wound shot and not a kill shot, was hoping they could find a weak and alive, wounded bull, and finish him and still have good meat to pack-out.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13139982

But...you're not here to discuss what I said, are you? You're a fanboy of fakepole, here to show the world how mentally bankrupt you are, while attempting to bust my balls...Thanks for the laughs. BWAHAHAHAHA.

PS- I'm in AZ and we take potential meat spoilage to about as high as they go, even in elk season. I'm pretty well versed in it....
Yeah, who would've thunk in AZ you need to know a little about spoilage....laughing

ELKSLAYER91 LET’S SEE SOME PROOF!
Slayme is sounding a lot like “Sharp Things” twin...Possible sock puppet. Slayer, you’re a net savvy Texan. Hang some pictures of all those 350”-380” bulls you have killed. All we’ve seen is you running your mouth without anything to backup your big hat talk.
Put some colors up and dazzle us with your amazing hunting skills and big fur you’ve burned...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”