Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Buck2
.. Albert Einstein (one of the smartest men to walk the Earth)

January 3, 1954,
Einstein reply to Eric Gutkind:

"The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of venerable but still rather primitive legends. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change anything about this... For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."

March 1954,
Einsteins reply to Joe Dispentiere:

" It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

EINSTEINS book of Ideas and Opinions (1954) stated:

"In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vast power in the hands of priests."

1950, Einstein letter to M. Berkowitz:

"My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

April 1929, Einstein cable to Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein:

"I believe in Spinoza's God {of Philosophy} , who
reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists,
not in a God who concerns himself with the fate
and the doings of mankind."

December 1922 Einstein stated the following on the concept of a savior:

"Denominational traditions I can only consider historically and psychologically; they have no other significance for me."

EINSTEIN to Japanese magazine Kaizō 1923:

"Scientific research can reduce superstition by encouraging people to think and view things in terms of cause and effect. Certain it is that a conviction, akin to religious feeling, of the rationality and intelligibility of the world lies behind all scientific work of a higher order.... This firm belief, a belief bound up with a deep feeling, in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world of experience, represents my conception of God.."

He also said,

“I am not an atheist,” he began.

“The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the
position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in
many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books.
It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they
are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the
arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to
me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.
We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but
only dimly understand these laws.”