Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kman
Originally Posted by Shodd
BSA, I suppose I was working at answering the question in a non threatening or offensive way.

I'll attempt to answer the question in a more direct way.

The 270 and 30/06 have killed more elk than the 300 weatherby has dreamed of. If you gave 50 folks a 300 weatherby and 50 folks a 270/30/06 the 270-30/06 crowd would be more successful every time.

Magnums are comprised of hype, recoil, and muzzle blast that is far removed from any real world gain.

The reality is recoil and muzzle blast are the exact components that seem to contribute to poor shot placement according to bench rest and competition shooter also backed up and confirmed by a large number of hunters whom do more than read books and charts.

Shod

Absurd statement. I have never felt recoil when pulling the trigger on game and have seen this confirmed by my petite 4'11" wife, who do a malfunction on her 308, had to use my 375h&h with full power 270 gr tsx loads to shoot her quarry. She said she didn't feel the recoil. Have let me nephew practice lots with 223 and then gave him a "real" rifle (308 with 150 btips) to go hunting with. Made a perfect shot and didn't feel the recoil either.

I'll agree, it is an obsurd statement. However I didn't want to get into a pizzing match. Like I've said numerous times. Shooting 1 rifle vs. another is same same personally in a hunting situation. It all boils down to fundamentals. If you don't have them, you just don't have them regardless of which rifle or cartridge you are shooting. Now if you are scared of big rifles with more recoil, then I'll agree you have no business shooting a magnum. Leave the bigger guns to the grown-ups who can handle them.. wink. Not directed at Shodd or kman, just stating a simple fact..

BSA, I agree with you. The fact is there are many hunters out there that shoot magnums very well. In fact most on this forum are far from (gun shy).

I suppose I really should be more careful in my choice of words as I really don't want to affend any of the fine hunters that frequent the forum. There are no doubt some very knowledgeable hunters here who have passed on much more information that I've learned from than I could ever teach them.

I'll be more specific yet less affending and attempt an answer that contains a bit more logic and reasoning other than I don't like magnums because I think they suck. Lol

I'll explain my typical preparation for an elk hunt especially when working up a load or preparing a new rifle that I'm just getting used to. I'll use the 270 Tikka T3 I acquired several years ago as an example.

Basically once my load work is done I'll go to the range 4-5 times a week and shoot right around 20 rounds each visit however I do bring other rifles and shoot around 50+ rounds of big game ammo.

I shoot at 100,200,300,400,500,600 yds. My goal is I want to be extremely well versed in how my rifle is shooting and exactly where to hold for each yardage. I also want to be very well versed in any changes I may run into under different weather conditions. The end result is thousands of rounds of familiarizing myself with my rifle and I feel like my rifle truely becomes almost like an extension of my body. For instance two years ago I shot a Muley buck at 530 yds making a clean heart shot. Did I feel confident. My confidence was through the roof. I'd already made that shot 100s of times at the range with nary a miss. I didn't even follow up by ejecting the spent casing. I simply watched and waited.

This is my main pitta and what I have noted over the years. When I show up at the range sporting a number of Magnums my round count goes way down. Not because I don't shoot them well but because.....well......300 rounds a week of Magnum recoil is going to do some bruising to 98% of us and then there's always that 2% that seem to be somewhat inhuman.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/21/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok