Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I'm not trying to make you comply with any rules.

But there are other methods of hunting elk where your guns don't work so well. That's all.

bellydeep,

Well we are all victims of our experience. Having shot elk from up close in black timber to pretty far in the wide open I really don't know what mean by "methods of hunting elk" and why my gun would not work well?

Care to expound?

Alright. This is my last reply to you on this topic. Either you understand what I'm saying and just troll for the sheer pleasure of it or you're so full of yourself you'll never understand.

I've got a custom barreled 700 in an aftermarket stock. With a Leupold 6x36 it comes in a shade over 8 lbs. Depending on the load, the LR dots get me to 500 or 600 yards. There's miles and miles of timber in western Montana, and you'll spend a lot of time in it if you hunt elk. There's also places where you might need to stretch out a bit, like in an avalanche chute or above treeline at the head of a drainage. Some of it is horse country, some not. I do backpack from time to time.

I really would not want one of your guns for what I do. I can't imagine trying to still hunt through the timber for a couple hours with a rifle that heavy. And I sure as heck wouldn't want to backpack with one. As far as the loads you use, I wouldn't want to take a heavily quartering shot in the timber either.

You might be able to argue that I could get by with a different gun/load than I'm using, but it wouldn't be one of yours.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.