Originally Posted by shrapnel
What an emotional book this has become. Better, worse blah blah blah...

You do seem pretty emotional about the .300 Weatherby. About the first clue someone has their feels hurt is when reading comprehension goes right out the window.

I wrote this:
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Lots of better options if you need reach but I would take the .243 Win/ 105gr VLD over the .300 Bee every time.

You felt this:
Originally Posted by shrapnel
still someone thinks a 243 is all you need.

When "Lots of better options" feels the same as "all you need" it gets hard to have a fun discussion without somebody getting butthurt.

Originally Posted by kroo88
John B, don't disagree with your opinion of the 300. Just don't think you have to take everything to long-range to make the point.

Kroo88,

But that really is the point. Almost everyone who claims there isn't "anything better" than the .300 Weatherby is using longer range as the justification.

The interesting thing is that the self imposed range limits for most of the .300 Weatherby fans are shooter limitations, not killing power limitations. That is a bit of food for thought.

If a guy with a .300 Weatherby says he can only shoot well enough to reliably hit elk vitals at 500yds what happens if we give him a rifle with more downrange "power" and more recoil? Could he shoot ethically further or should he actually reduce the range he is willing to shoot?

All things being equal would he be able to extend his ethical range by using a cartridge that delivers less, but still plenty, downrange power but also was significantly easier to shoot from field positions?

Originally Posted by Brad
The best elk rifle is whatever the best elk hunter has in his hands. The rest is bullchit... or elkshit.

Brad,

Sort of and maybe. grin

We put 10 elk on the ground (all with the rifle in the pic) the weekend before Christmas. 8 out of 10 were 1 shot kills (600yds- 180yds), one cow kept her feet long enough to get a 2nd and one took 3 because of behind the diaphragm placement on the first.

I don't know if a suppressed G2 .308 Win is "better" than anything for thinning cow herds but it sure is the best I have ever seen, in that application. laugh

[Linked Image]