Allen did indeed like Partitions and the 300 WM, he even took a Cape Buffalo with his (and it's on video on a Mark Sullivan film), but he also liked the 300 Weatherby, and in fact, he used to relate about his "hunting mentor" who'd literally hunted the world with a 300 Weatherby and he called it a great cartridge. My 338 has a 24" tube, but it's light. It shoots the 210 Partitions "ok" and if/when I ever get back to that leopard that will be my combo,but man, it loves that TTSX, I'm talking sub-half MOA. On my last safari, I put down a lot of game up to and including elk-sized stuff with the 300 Weatherby. I don't know what this "Barnes 100 yd run" issue is, but off the top of my head I've taken at least an Oryx, Axis, and a bunch of hogs (in texas) with a 140gr TTSX out of a 7mm Weatherby and many deer with my 257 and 100gr TTSXs and not a ONE has taken a step. I wouldn't touch a ballistic tip on ANYTHING with an MV higher than 2700 fps.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”