Ah, the age-old argument: Keith vs O'Connor. Speed vs momentum. Flat-shooting vs raking-shot penetration. I suspect many who shoot the 300 Wby feel it is the perfect balance of the two sides of the argument: it shoots as flat as a magnum 7 and has the energy of a magnum 338. If there were fewer guys pole-axing elk with wee little calibers, then I might consider a 300 Wby. Or a 338.

But an '06 makes big holes through elk really, really well. And I can manage the recoil and gun weight.

I'd rather have a Toyota Camry to run around town than a Chevy with a Duramax. Of course, when getting firewood in January, the Chevy IS necessary. The elk hunting I've done looks far more like a Camry situation than it looks like a Chevy situation. In fact, I've put a cow elk in a Camry before.

I hope my analogy makes sense. It is a rough arthritis day today, and my head is spinning from pain at the moment. The point I am making is that small and efficient is a great idea for most situations, whether we are talking about running errands or guns for hunting elk. If I can do it with a Camry, I'll leave the Chevy in the driveway.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.