Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Guys, it is settled. There's nothing better than a 300 Bee.

......and it only took 4 years and two months, 378 replies, and 73,753 views to get there!

No, because there isn't any consensus that the .300 WBY is the best. While the .300 WBY is a fine choice for elk for some there are many other options that are just as good or even much better for individual hunters.

The OP's original post was full of false, judgmental assumptions and non-sequiturs in order to bolster his position.

Originally Posted by Bighorn
Flat trajectory. Massive downrange energy. Sub MOA accuracy from many rifle and handload combos. High but manageable recoil in most rifle weights. Almost unlimited bullet selection, and widely universal availability of factory ammo, if needed
If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?
For myself, the next bull will fall to another TSX, 165 or 180 gr, with extreme confidence.
Why undergun yourself with lesser armament, or overrun yourself with higher recoil?
If Roy himself were around today, I'm guessing he would endorse his 300 as perfection on elk.

There are many cartridges that provide flat trajectory, massive downrange energy and sub MOA accuracy. Many do it with less recoil and similar bullet and ammo selection. "Widely universal availability of factory ammo" is a sophomoric self-contradiction and there are cartridges with even better availability.

If I was going on a trophy bull hunt, yes, I could come up with a choice that is better for me. My 7mm RM, .300WM or .338WM or even one of my .30-06 rifles would do just fine and if I was going to buy a new rifle for the purpose it wouldn't be a .300 WBY.

Nor do I like the Op's choice of a Barnes TSX as the bullet of choice. A Barnes TTSX, North Fork SS, Swift A-Frame or Nosler AccuBond or Partition would be my preference.

Choosing something less than a .300 WBY doesn't mean a person is "undergunned" but the opposite is often true - many hunters can't shoot a .300 WBY well and would be better off with something else. My hunting buddy has a diabetes related shoulder issues and has a problem with the recoil of his 7mm RM. We got a .308 Win for Daughter #1 because of recoil issues. Neither would do well wiht a .300 WBY. In a similar vein, choosing something more (a .300 RUM for example) doesn't mean the hunter is "overrun" by the higher recoil.

I don't have any idea what Roy would endorse as "perfection" on elk but, in any case, his personal choice is irrelevant to millions of hunters with their own individual requirements and capabilities.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.