Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
- hunters still have plenty of opportunity to experience "brutal intimacy" gutting and dismembering an animal once it is on the ground.

I specifically referred to the up & close personal act of killing a living beast,
not just chopping up the lifeless inert carcass like you would in a butcher shop,
two different things in my mind.

Whether I killed an animal at a few feet or 500 yards I've never felt much difference in the "brutal intimacy" of the act itself. Maybe that is because of the mindset I have about killing them in the first place, which is to respect the life I am attempting to take. Dismembering the animals, however, is always brutally intimate, whether it is doves or elk or something in-between.

More than a few times I have passed on extremely long or difficult shots and gone home empty-handed as a result. The longest of those shots were well beyond my capability and the most difficult have been as close as 100 yards. I do think that many people taking shots in such conditions have little or no respect for the animal itself. That isn't a problem of range so much as it is the mindset of the hunter.

YMMV

Good post CH. A guy needs to know his limitations. If he doesn't, he needs to be practicing a whole hell of a lot more. A poor shot at short distance is just as bad as a poor shot at long range as far as I'm concerned. However, if you know you can make the shot (with 100% certainty), it doesn't matter what range or how far the shot is...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA