Originally Posted by Bighorn
Flat trajectory. Massive downrange energy. Sub MOA accuracy from many rifle and handload combos. High but manageable recoil in most rifle weights. Almost unlimited bullet selection, and widely universal availability of factory ammo, if needed
If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?
For myself, the next bull will fall to another TSX, 165 or 180 gr, with extreme confidence.
Why undergun yourself with lesser armament, or overrun yourself with higher recoil?
If Roy himself were around today, I'm guessing he would endorse his 300 as perfection on elk.

Back in my magnum phase, I decided to go with the 338 win mag after shooting and hunting different '300 mags'. I found with the noise and recoil associated with the 300 mags or the 338 I decided to run the 338. If you can shoot one of the 300 mags you can shoot a 338 win and have more bullet... that was then.

Now, my last elk I killed with my 280 rem stoked with 150 grain ballistic tips. While not a trophy, the small 3x4 bull made it a whole 20 yards and tipped over very dead with his vitals turned to soup complete penetration with about a 1-1/2 exit hole.

I did shoot a second time as the bull was stumbling out of the clearing and hit him in the last rib to angle forward threw the already destroyed vitals and broke the off side shoulder.... but I still would have shot a second time even if I had a 300 or a 338 in my hands... If there up, yer shoot'n

I have been hunting a long time and once thought a magnum was the answer, but along the way its always been shot placement not the 'displacement size' of the cartridge. It did not take me long to find out elk just do not lay down dead after being vitally hit even with a magnum, or with ANY caliber for that matter.

Shot placement, knowing limits and firearm familiarity trumps names, brands and all the money one can spend.

The 300 mags are fine elk guns. A mans just gotta know his limits..... Most of those fine points bighorn gave about the 300 Weatherby could just a arguably be said about the lowly 30-06 wink

Last edited by boomwack; 10/30/15.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member