Originally Posted by JohnBurns

As a side note you might want to check the thread title "The 300 Wby Mag- is there anything better". The thread is actually about cartridges better than the .300 Wby, hence the reason I am here. laugh

Tell me more about this "energy".

While your at it please list anywhere that restricts a 6.5mm for dangerous game but allows a .300 Wby. As you will be Googling a bit throw the search term "WMD Bell" in and learn a bit on shot placement, 6.5mms, and elephants. laugh

In the immortal words of a close personal friend of mine from Paradise AK "Who chews your food?"

I'm planning my first elk hunt, so there's my levl of expertise on elk, but the way I figure, they aren't much different than a kudu or a host of other similarly-sized African game which I have taken so here goes:

1. What cartridges do you consider "better" than the 300 Weatherby and why.

2. As to Karamojo Bell and the 7x57 on elephant, anybody who's read about his exploits knows this was not his preferred cartridge, he lost a lot of elephant with it and it is really not a relevant issue. The issue of a what constitutes 'Enough Gun' (to quote Taylor since we're quoting African PHs), and a 243 is really a stupid choice for kudu, unless of course we can go from the sublime to the ridiculous as there are verified exploits of elephants taken with a 22 LR (Capstick).

Suffice to say, JB covered it well, and the "hot placement over caliber" red-herring is just as ridiculous when one takes the "stunt shooting" angle which is exactly what going after an elk-size animal with a 243.

Cheers, j

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”