My first impression is, "geez whiz," how many times has this stuff been gone over.. But then I remember how I drank it up as a entry level elk Hunter, and I realize there are new hunters reading this stuff all the time.

I think BobNH and I have followed much the same path as far as working up the "cartridge latter" from the standards to the big 7's, 30's, and 33's, and then the 375 and have some of the same experience, particularly on elk.

There is no standard cartridge or "small magnum" that performs like a large 30 or 33 on elk over larger numbers of elk taken, over a period of time, at "normal mountain ranges," if,..IF, you can shoot it accurately. If you can't after trying just don't go there. It's not for you and you will be worse off pursuing it. Other, smaller cartridges will work too.

As to the small caliber, "pencil bullet" niche, and taking elk at 800 yards, I'm not talking about that either. At five hundred yards, covering 99 % or more of all elk taken, a big 30 (or 33) will be decidedly more impressionable than anything else that is hand held, again, IF...if you can carry it and shoot it accurately.

Ninety-eight % of all hunters shouldn't contemplate shooting any further anyway if even that far.

So, as to the 300 Wby (including other big 30"s or 33"s) and its use on elk, it IS "about as good as it get," regardless if someone can handle it or not. That has no bearing on the cartridge itself and its inherent ability when it is applied accurately.

There simply is no contest when looking at a bull at 400 yds across a small drainage with a ten mph cross wind, and holding a 300 Wby with, say, a 200-gr AB, as opposed to a 30/06 or a 7 mm Rem mag or 270. Note! I didn't say it couldn't be done with the latter three or what have you, but give me the former every single time.

Yes, again, the caveat is, you had better have put in a couple hundred rounds down range at home and know your rifle and cartridge intimately beforehand and then be able to place your bullet,.. or just forget it.