I guess we an keep this rollin' as elk season is just four to five months away:)

I have a 300 Wea now in a 8.5 lb package ready to go. I have not had many difficulties with recoil through the years as I used 340 B at that same weight for over two decades and took about twelve Bulls with it. A little rearrangement of my battery and the 340 was replaced by a 300. The 340 is a virtual elk hammer. Of those twelve Bulls nome required a second shot, went beyond a few yards and at least half were taken between 300 and 500 yards.

The 340 was on a semi-custom Rem 700 Action which brings up the point you don't have to have Weatherby platforms for the Wea cartridges nor shoot the spendy factory ammo--two "disadvantages" some always bring up in regard to the B cartridges. I handload everything. And I have never had a Weatherby rifle though I have also had a 270 B.

I fully realize any cartridge in the 308-30/06 family is elk-capable, not to mention the 7 mms. In fact I have a lightweight 284 I would gladly use if so inspired that morning. The actual question in regards to any of them and their pro's and cons is, "is the shooter capable?"

I really like the magnums for elk but as important for me as the cartridge is the platform any of them are in.

Presently, the fall load planned for the 300 is a 168-gr TTSX or a 200-gr AB or Nos Part depending. A 375 proven load is a 260-gr AB over R15; the 284's load has evolved to the 150-gr ABLR over R17.

But from my bit of experience, I would pick a 300/340 class mag for elk with the 300 B being the one I settled on.