Originally Posted by BWalker
I am open to shooting an elk out to 600 yards although I prefer not to shoot them at that distance. I also prefer not to use a bullet that sheds velocity needlessly fast, which a NF certainly does.
I would suggest that if you have problems killing elk with a BT or a AB a North Fork isn't going to help you.

I would suggest that if a North Fork won't work for someone at 600 yards they shouldn't be reaching that far regardless of the bullet used.

While it is true that the NF bullets don't have the high B.C. values some other bullets have, my 140g and 160g 7mm RM, 165g .30-06 and 180g .300WM NF loads all have more energy at 500 yards than many .30-30 loads have at 100 yards. Considering I've been elk hunting since 1982, have taken 14 elk since 2000 and have never taken a shot past 487 yards (with all the rest at 400 and under), I haven't found the North Fork B.C. values to be a limiting factor.

In contrast, I use AB and TTSX quite a bit and can't point to a case where their higher B.C. values have made any difference.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.