Most people are more interested in having a rifle/cartridge combination that meets their needs rather than having the “king of the .300’s”. Rifles that they judge to be unnecessarily expensive, have unnecessarily high recoil levels and that are often longer and/or heavier than desired and/or need brakes to help tame recoil to acceptable levels are of little interest. That doesn’t make the cartridges “too much” -- except for those people for whom it does.

The .300 WBY is undoubtedly a great cartridge but the .300 Winchester filled a specific need – for a shorter SAAMI registered cartridge of similar performance (if not quite equal) that would fit in an unmodified action designed for .30-06 cartridge length. Winchester hit a price/performance point that was unachievable with the then proprietary .300 WBY. Based on public acceptance and subsequent sales, which far exceeded that of the .300 WBY, I’d say Winchester hit a home run with the bases loaded.

People can argue the merits of one cartridge over another but none of the arguments hold water when the needs and wants of the user are ignored.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.