Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by rosco1
The .300 Weatherby is a decent elk round if you don't need much reach and love recoil.

Been hittin the eggnog pretty hard? Agree on the recoil, but you pulled the rest outta your ass.

Pretty sure I use more reach on elk than most and willing to bet I have punched tags further than any .300 bee lover. laugh

Just Sayin. cool

Originally Posted by shrapnel
The .300 Weatherby is a decent elk round if you don't need much reach and love recoil.

But then if that fits the bill then the .340 Weatherby offers even less reach and kicks even more.

But then if that fits the bill then the .33-.378 Weatherby offers even less reach and will kick even more.

Need I go on?? grin

Maybe you could school us on a 243 at 700 yards. Now that is a good round...

Based on my experience the .243 Win with the 105gr VLD is better at 700yds than the .300 Weatherby.

Both are pushing the limit. Lots of better options if you need reach but I would take the .243 Win/ 105gr VLD over the .300 Bee every time.

Have you had a problem killin elk with the .243 Win? cool

Not when I shot them in the head. You have to admit, you don't fit into the average hunting and shooting scenerios with the equipment you use and where you hunt.

Take your light calibers and go to Africa and see how many PH's will allow those guns on dangerous game and at 1000 yards. If there wasn't an advantage to larger calibers they would hunt elephants with a 17 Remington...

My favorite Montanan philosopher Teddy K. had it right when he warned against technological advances.

Sure I'll take a beating for this, but I would appreciate never having to hear-
"Oh yeah, what's its ballistic coefficient?"-again.

The last bull I killed with the 300 Weatherby was inside 20 yards. Jumped off a Colorado canyon edge after hearing him bugle. Somehow got between him and his cows and called him into that range.

Grew up reading Outdoor Life articles about putting the sneak on big bucks and bulls. Feel sorry for the up and coming hunter who will never know anything but yardages and bc's.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord