Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The .300 WBY may be the best for some but it is definitely sub-par for others. ...

Nice red herring. The question is what is best for elk, not what is best for women hunters or men too cheap to buy new reloading dies.

Playing to the lowest common denominator does not answer the question.

Apparently you don't even know what a red herring is. "Best" is a very subjective, qualitative judgment of an item's ability to meet certain criteria. In this case the item is a .300 Weatherby rifle and the task is killing elk. Just because one person might consider the .300 Weatherby the "best" choice for that task does not mean that others will concur. Nor does this disagreement imply that anyone is wrong. If you take the hunter (and the person that determines what is "best" for themselves) out of the picture all you have is an unused rifle. There is no universal "best" - a concept, it seems, that you fail to grasp.

What I did was provide a few common criteria that someone might apply when choosing what is "best" for themselves. These are not red herrings but rather the real life concerns and criteria of real life people - concerns that apply to millions of hunters.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.