Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
- hunters still have plenty of opportunity to experience "brutal intimacy" gutting and dismembering an animal once it is on the ground.

I specifically referred to the up & close personal act of killing a living beast,
not just chopping up the lifeless inert carcass like you would in a butcher shop,
two different things in my mind.

Whether I killed an animal at a few feet or 500 yards I've never felt much difference in the "brutal intimacy" of the act itself. Maybe that is because of the mindset I have about killing them in the first place, which is to respect the life I am attempting to take. Dismembering the animals, however, is always brutally intimate, whether it is doves or elk or something in-between.

More than a few times I have passed on extremely long or difficult shots and gone home empty-handed as a result. The longest of those shots were well beyond my capability and the most difficult have been as close as 100 yards. I do think that many people taking shots in such conditions have little or no respect for the animal itself. That isn't a problem of range so much as it is the mindset of the hunter.

YMMV

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.