Originally Posted by John_Gregori

...Each person has their own ethics....

I ask: At what range does it cross over from the actual action of hunting to just being able to shoot animals from so far away that it impedes the fairness of the 'chase'and violates the spirit of the hunter and the game and crosses the line of fair chase hunting?

Personally I feel that modern era mankind has had it rather easy with the convenience of modern weapons
centerfires & scopes (regardless of distance), and that the genuine/original ethos of "fair chase" and " spirit of the hunter"
has mostly died or diminished when we stopped thrusting spears into animals from a couple yds, it was such long standing
primitive methods which put us on much more even ground during the pursuit of wild game....alas we now live in the world of high modern convenience, but we have lost something valuable in the process.
Even when we look at war, some are engaged in it the detached modern way, say as a pilot dropping bombs from above quite remote from his target and the personal human factor, then we have those guys in the trenches who did savage do or die bayonet charges and saw and felt their human targets right up close & personal, often looking into their enemies eyes sometimes from just a few inches as they thrust the bayonet in again and again....Same war but two totally different experiences and demands on a human, the second one portraying mans most primitive/primordal instincts of survival and harking back to the times when humans killing humans(or wild animals), almost always demanded it be done up close and personal....todays technology allows todays hunters be much more detached resulting in less exposure to experiences of what I call "brutal intimacy" with nature during the act of killing game.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.