Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Well I would like a .300 Weatherby even less in a light weight rifle. laugh

The idea that owning all the mules, tack, trailers & trucks plus training, care and feeding that it takes to hunt deep in the wilderness is a "gentleman's hunt" put a smile on my face.

If you ever get the chance to go on your "bucket list" hunt make sure you get all the fun. Don't let the wrangler or guide saddle, feed, picket, or load your mount or the 2 pack animals it takes as minimum to do a wilderness "gentleman's hunt". grin

Both my .300WM and .338WM are in Ruger "boat paddle" stocks which are fairly light weight. The .300 is probably the heavier of the two as the .338 WM has a fluted, 22" barrel. Based on that I think I'd be OK with a light .300WBY. Don't see myself buying one but if Dad or Uncle had passed one down I wouldn't kick it out of bed. smile

I know the hay-burners take a lot of care - not just during the hunt but year-round, which is why I don't own any. We had them on the farm when I was a kid too small to wrap my legs around them. Dad would never buy a saddle so I learned how to bounce. I've only hunted on a four-legged animal once and only went a few hundred yards downhill to a beaver pond. That hunt was cut short a few minutes later when I remounted after watering the mule. It decided to head for the next county before I was in the saddle and I busted two ribs by bouncing off a log. By "gentleman's hunt" I was referring more to having the animal pack the rifle and gear in my backpack -- but give me a broken down old nag. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.