Originally Posted by Alamosa

Excuses and Azzholes ...

This thing about 14 elk in 16 years looks like a piss-poor record considering you say you are hunting multiple licenses each year, hunting ranches with 75% and 84% success rates, while hunting guided on one of the ranches, then claiming 33 years experience and still crippling elk and leaving the landowners to ponder your mess. Moral of the story - 33 years road hunting and ranch hunting does not equal 33 years hunting experience.

14 elk in 16 years is a pretty good record considering I normally take only one animal regardless of how many tags I have. Last year was a case in point when I had an easy 175-ish yard shot at a cow that I turned down while working on my bull. I also generally wait until my hunting partners get their elk (or go home) before trying to take one myself. In now 34 years of hunting I've only hunted RFW ranches 5 times and over 2/3 of my elk have been taken on public property. Three Forks was guided but the ranch provides the guides for free - hunters are not allowed to wander the ranch by themselves. The Three Forks hunt accounts for one cow. None of the other hunts were guided. Overall I've taken over 20 elk and lost one with no lost deer or antelope. Some people might be ashamed of that record. I, for one, am not.

When I was road hunting in 2014 it was the only option available to me due to a bad hip that had gotten much worse after two days of hunting. If you think I'm going to apologize for that you are very much mistaken. My days of putting 35-40 miles on my legs during elk season are over, even with my new hip.

You have posted this clay pigeon story dozens of times. If you insist upon NOT learning to actually hunt and can't shake your sniper envy then go to gunsite or one of the other fine schools and get professional help. Do yourself and the elk (and us) a favor and lose this DIY hillbilly sniper training fantasy.

It isn't "sniper envy", I do it because it is a challenge and it helps improve my shooting skills. Very similar to when Granddad has us kids shoot the buttons off aerosol cans as kids before he would let us hunt his squirrels.

Your fixation with Mule Deer seems to be a lame attempt to distract from your preposterous recounts of you own hunts. No one is going to waste the time to roll in the mud with you over fencelines, units hunted, locations, etc, but your story doesn't wash. It is insulting that you think that anyone can't see through that.

You clearly have very little respect for elk, landowners, for this forum, for you hunting partners, and what that really boils down to is lack of respect for yourself.

The reason you find them "preposterous" is you continually confuse and conflate the events and times in your muddled mind.

And, in case you haven't heard, Mule Deer lied.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.