Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Judman;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope Christmas was great for you and your family and that all are well.

Without a doubt I'm neither Jordan, nor anyone who can speak from any substantial personal experience about dropping elk, but here's a couple links to "get the juices flowing" on a frigid Monday if nothing else.

This one died east of Edmonton, so still in farm land for sure, but not super far south of the Canadian Shield or "bush" as we called it.

[Linked Image from outdoorlife.com]

This is a Saskatchewan bull from just north of where I grew up and where we farmed before we drifted out here to BC. We knew there were big elk just north of us, but honestly I never began to fathom they got this big Jud...

[Linked Image from vmcdn.ca]

The top one is a bow kill too by the way and I believe it was an '06 that the bottom fellow used, but that's just an "I think" and certainly not an "I know"....

Me, when I have an elk tag in my pocket - we're 6 point bulls only here - it's the same rifle I'll have when I'm chasing immature bull moose - 2 point or less on one side - which is a .308 Norma with 168gr TSX in it.

Mostly as I've been getting older and more rickety Jud, I'm paying way more attention to how far it is to where I can get the truck!

All the best to you all and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

You're holding out on ys Dwayne!
Nice bulls, whomever those folks are!

T Inman;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, I hope you had a good Christmas and you're keeping the fire well stocked!

Since I'm in the mood to tell stories and I've already taken the thread all the way through the ditch, have run over the fence and we're now into the rhubarb...

It goes like this more or less how I recall it T.

A couple of avid hunter types are getting something non hunting related from this older Ukrainian farmer who is just on the Manitoba side of where that Saskatchewan bull comes from. He's north of a town near us called Roblin, MB which boasted a Ford auto dealership AND a farm implement dealership thank you very much!!

Not bad for maybe 3000 people then?

Anyways there they are at this farmer's place buying something and he's digging through an old wooden granary moving huge elk antlers out of the way to find this part.

The guys are absolutely gobsmacked at the size of one of the racks and ask if he's ever had it measured?

He asks them just what they mean by "measured" and then says, "That's not the big one anyways" laugh laugh

Well, as it turns out T, it wasn't...

Took him awhile to figure out which granary that one was in, took awhile longer for them to talk him into letting them take it to get measured and at that time it was something like the #2 all time in Manitoba. The really funny thing was that he couldn't even recall which year he'd killed it but he did think it was big enough not to let the dogs chew it up, so that's why it was in the granary.

We had a whopping set of whitetail antlers in our basement when I was a kid that we'd hang wet clothes on.

The Ukrainian neighbor had shot it one season with his 94 and his wife gave him so much grief over shooting a buck instead of a nice tasty doe that he gave the antlers to Dad.

I recall Mike telling Dad, "Well you know how Angie can be and she just won't let this one go Fred!" laugh laugh

I have no idea where those antlers are anymore T, but they were pretty big as I recall.

Thanks for reading and all the best to you in the New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"