There will always be guys who go "big" and then find they are scared of the thing and subsequently the guides and outfitters get that guy with the camo underwear and the new 300 mag and a completely missed or wounded animal. It's the oft repeated argument against the bigger magnums. However, our outfitter of last year told my buddy his 270 with a 150-gr NP was too small. I reassured him it wasn't and he killed the biggest bull in camp.

But, but, if, IF you can shoot the 300, 338-340, and the 358 magnums, some of these with some high BC bullets (if you want and can go long), it gives you an undeniable advantage on a 700-900 lb animal with a very high desire-to-live quotient.

The recoil is a given and, yes, you carry some more weight. I've stated this before that most of my bulls have come at far north of 100 yds (my closest) and most between 400 and 500 and I shot a 340 for by far the most with 210-225 grain premium bullets. I've never lost one or had one go more than 25 yds wth the exception of the closest bull who ran a tight little circle and fell where he was originally hit.

If you shoot a 308 (for example) alongside a 300 or 340 (for example) at similar ranges, and repeat it often enough, if you deny there will be a noted difference you are denying science assuming the ability to shoot both well.

Yeah, the local who knows the land, has a month of weekends plus more, who can hunt and stalk like a Brad can do it all with a 308. A guy like me who goes one Week every two or three years, and gets one shot at dusk across a canyon with no way of closing, IMO is better served by something else.