Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

John, very nice Bulls. Good for you! and the best in the New Year.

But I seem to get partially obscured, long to five hundred yard shots in poor light and tail-end angles when I chase elk. That, and I live in Iowa and have less than a week to do it or not every couple of years, come-what-may "global warming," at the time.

It also looks like I may have about twenty years on you; by experience, I won't go heavier than 8.5 pounds with a working 300 Wby, 340 Wby, or 375 and that works for me as I've done it for years after this game or that and in once in Africa.

While I wont shoot past six hundred, my object is to drive a [/b]high energy[b], bigger bullet from from stem to stern if I have to, and if I get a clear target, and an immobile one.

Anybody else can use what they can carry or what is carried and works for them and, and as they say, more power to them (you).

George,

Thanks for the well reasoned post. Like most of us I like yipin and yappin about elk rifles.

As I said before I am a victim of my experiences and have never needed the bullet to reach the Stern when the bull was shot in the Stem. The important stuff lays in the Stem and having a bullet make it out the Stern (hindquarters) after destroying the vitals is not a requirement for my elk hunting.

As to shooting through the Stern (hind end), in an effort to reach the vitals in the Stem, we may have to part ways. Even with the best of penetrating bullets that shot is to risky for me. Bullets have a tenancy to do funny things in 4 feet of bone, muscle, guts and grass long before they get to the important stuff.

If one needs to immobilize a wounded bull going straight away then breaking the pelvic girdle is much more sure and my .264 Win Mag is more than enough gun.

The crux of the matter is that properly shot bulls tend to die pretty quick with a multitude of rounds. I like rounds that are the easier to shoot than the .300 Bee, resist the atmosphere better than the .300 Bee, and anchor properly hit bull with authority.

It's not that I think the .300 Wby won't work on elk, I just think there are better rounds for general elk hunting and that is the question in the OP.

Thanks again and as I suspect things are going to get a bit western please don't take anything posted below to be directed at you. grin
Originally Posted by shrapnel
John,

You get twitterpated too easily. The thread was about 300 WBY not you. You have made it about you, no one brought you or your equipment up but you.

All righty then.

Originally Posted by bellydeep
John what is your favorite round?

Maybe you could school us on a 243 at 700 yards. Now that is a good round...

Shooting specialized guns under controlled circumstances doesn't put you in the rank and file category and certainly doesn't make a better hunter.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
John B -

Those are some pretty awesome bulls.

I dare say, though, that if you didn't have four-footed transportation you might quickly decide that a 10 pound rifle is unnecessarily heavy.

Originally Posted by bellydeep
But there are other methods of hunting elk where your guns don't work so well. That's all.

As a side note you might want to check the thread title "The 300 Wby Mag- is there anything better". The thread is actually about cartridges better than the .300 Wby, hence the reason I am here. laugh

There is a pattern here, you keep on with your spray tan and dental smile while spouting the virtues of your gun's superiority over the 300 WBY.

I like patterns. Spray Tan, Smile, Nice Bull, cartridge "better" than the .300 Wby. wink

[Linked Image]

You still haven't recognized the fact that large bullets have more energy than smaller bullets, or why don't they allow you to hunt DG with 243 and 6.5 guns...

Tell me more about this "energy".

While your at it please list anywhere that restricts a 6.5mm for dangerous game but allows a .300 Wby. As you will be Googling a bit throw the search term "WMD Bell" in and learn a bit on shot placement, 6.5mms, and elephants. laugh

In the immortal words of a close personal friend of mine from Paradise AK "Who chews your food?" crazy

Originally Posted by 79S
So to shoot elk I need a spray tan, dental smile and a 243??? Got it

I ain't sayin it is the only way but the recipe has proven to work pretty well. Up gun to a hot rod 6.5mm and we find a real sweet spot.

Originally Posted by deflave
Spray Tan isn't here to talk about the 300 Weatherby. He's here to show us he can fold himself in half and suck his own COCK.

Happy New Year,
Dave

Who wants to talk about the .300 Wby? The thread is about "better". That's why I am here.

Side note on sucking, have you seen Shrappys sig line??

Originally Posted by deflave
If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

I don't know what's gayer, you writing that or him using it as a sig line. shocked laugh

Happy New Year.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/01/16.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.