Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I'm a little surprised at the number of people afraid of the recoil of a 300 Wby, or any bigger 30.

I watched my ex wife make 14 one shot kills without a miss in Africa, with a 7 Lb 6 oz 30-338. Brown stocked and carved up Enfield.

Granted she was only getting 3065 FPS with a 180 not 3200+ but she only weighed 135 Lbs.

They aren't for everyone but there is not many circumstances where they are the wrong call.

What many folks just don't get, is that the smaller the person quite often, the less recoil bothers them. The larger the body mass the more you soak up the pounding.

My wife is not tiny or petite, to many folks way of thinking, but she is 5/2 and 114 or so. She has shot everything up to 460 wtby and 50 bmg. Including shooting a squirrel with a 378 wtby after I'd shot it, and after I said I'd never shoot that ever again.

I guess its a YMMV thing possibly, but everyone thats ever wanted a brake on a rifle of decent size has been a bigger person than average...

We used to do all our doe culling with 300wtby and head shots only. I"ve had quite a few small folks shoot deer with my 300 wtby. Its loud, and if you give em hearing protection, and tell em how to hold the gun, most of the recoil is straight up... I"m MORE worried about a scope cut from the rise, than someone saying it kicks to bad.

Now the 300 with a brake we got as a tip one time, its really loud and a total gravy gun to shoot... even easier than the non braked one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....