Originally Posted by BWalker
One or two years ago, it doesn't matter. The fact is you took a shot that you were not skilled enough to make, yet you mention the "pathetic" shooting you have seen at the range. You are one not those guys at the range that you have observed. That the irony is lost on you is telling.

My favorite targets are clay pigeons on the 500 and 600 yard berms, where a crosswind is the norm rather than the exception. My hit ratio for a single session has been as high as 40%. Most of my rifles have me dancing off the edges but that's what I expect with MOA rifles. The 'pathetic' shooter I referenced would be lucky to hit a clay at 100 yards and 50 yards would be a challenge for some.

My mistake on the lost elk was not a matter of shooting skills but marginally misjudging the crosswind across a canyon. If you have never made a mistake, feel free to throw stones.

At least I have the courage to admit the lost elk, knowing that I would take flack for it. I rather doubt you would do the same.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.