Originally Posted by Brad
I've always found that finding a big bull is harder than killing a big bull...

That's usually the case with any BG animal.

PS: Talking about recoil tolerance just injects a variable that can't be quantified and clouds the issue of which cartridges are best suited for heavy ungulates,especially as distances stretch-out, because it varies with the individual. I notice a very strong tendency on here for people to try to make a case that no one can handle 300-338 level recoil,supposedly even with reasonable practice. This is mostly horse poop.

If a guy cant handle or decides to avoid 300-338 level recoil that's his choice and his issue.Maybe he needs to practice more, or more intelligently because anyone who practices with a hard recoiling rifle until it hurts is stupid.

But I won't listen too hard to his arguments that a little standard case cartridge is "as good" as a 300 magnum at distance....it isn't. The bigger cartridges and heavier bullets at high velocity simply inflict more trauma and bust up heavy bones better than anything smaller.

I say a lot of this TIC because things like the 270-280 are among my favorite cartridges and I'd probably hunt elk with either one anywhere smile (And I no longer even own a 300 magnum).

But I won't BS myself that either one is in the same class as a 300 Weatherby or a 338 when it comes to game elk sized and up....they aren't.

whistle smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.