Originally Posted by bea175
I have killed six elk out of seven trips and the last two i killed with the 25 STW and the Barnes 100 gr TXS and both never moved from where they were standing. Two others i killed with the 338-06 Ack and the Swift 210 gr Scirocco, one with the 30-06 and the 165 gr Partition, and one with the 338 RUM and the Nosler 225 gr Partition. Of the six it required zero tracking they were all dead right there. Four were Bulls and two Cows

Sounds like you are doing something right. I will agree with Bob and others that say this thread is a little on the drivvely side.. laugh. I'll also agree with Bob about using the 300 WBY in timber. When I had mine, I wouldn't hesitate about shooting though a lodge pole pine to drop a bull with it. One thing about the 300 WBY, it really penetrates with good bullets. It's also been my experience that it can be downright explosive with the wrong bullets. I also believe that wyocoyotehunter uses the 300 win mag, from previous talks with him. While it's not a 300WBY, it's a powerful contender that I have no use for. Too much recoil, but then again I only loaded 200gr. pills in mine. Why not use a heavy bullet in a big sledge hammer like the 300wby or 300wm? If you drop down to 165's you might as well be using a 308 win or 30-06. How's that for drivel Bob? I mean icing on the cake.... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA