Originally Posted by crosshair
I think you do, I used to have the tag GarryC here. We have conversed many times about these matters.

Hey--I didn't know that. I had wondered where garryc had gotten off to. I feel like saying, "It's nice to see you back," even though of course you haven't gone anywhere.

Originally Posted by crosshair
However, it's just as true that because you do what you do and know what you know, you could never do what I do.

Don't be too sure of that. Fact is if I get a chance to speak of Christ I do. I also make sure there is a bible provided when the inmate asks for it when I'm working the hole.

I wasn't questioning your witness.

But I'll bet that as a CO you can't let yourself develop a close relationship with a prisoner or become personally involved in his life the way we can. As I understand things, it'd be a dereliction of your duty, as well as physically dangerous to you, as well as practically impossible in at least a few cases (which would probably turn out to be the most important ones), given what you know about the prisoners.

Now, in defense of your point, I know of at least one active-duty CO, an active-duty warden, a retired warden, and an active-duty deputy warden who have been Kairos volunteers--and reasonably effective ones--but never at their own prisons.

Even the two super-COs I mentioned earlier wouldn't dare volunteer at their own prisons.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867