Originally Posted by Enrique
Barak keeps insisting that the government is extorting from the taxpayers even when the bible mentions to pay taxes and listen to the government. It doesn't say we can pick and choose.

Okay, look. I have a presentation to prepare, and I can't spend all day here. But let me take one more shot at this.

Enrique: in first-century Palestine, it was perfectly legal for a Roman soldier to grab a random Jew, who was just going about his business and hurting nobody, and force him to carry the soldier's load--in whatever direction the soldier happened to be going and for as long as he felt like--under threat of violence.

Okay? In our world today, that's kidnapping and involuntary servitude. Felonies. Prison.

So what did Jesus say about that? He said that if a soldier demands that you carry his burden a mile, you should carry it two miles instead.

Now did Jesus mean by this that when a soldier forces his burden on you, it's not kidnapping or involuntary servitude?

No, of course not. It's still kidnapping and involuntary servitude. Jesus is just saying that you shouldn't resist it. (Why not is a whole other lesson. No time now. Later, maybe.)

So...by analogy, when he says you shouldn't resist taxation, he is not saying that taxation isn't extortion. Of course it's extortion: it fits every single definition of extortion there is, other than ones that make a clear exception for the State. (No, he didn't say "extortion." The word "extortion" didn't exist. The entire English language didn't exist. If he had said "extortion" nobody would have known what he meant.)

It's not a crime to give a robber what he demands; but it's still a crime for him to rob you, whether or not he gets what he demands.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867