Originally Posted by RDFinn
The guy who committed these unspeakable acts today was just a little further down the road, that's all. You just have to hope that when they finally blow you're nowhere near them.

Actually, I've already been through that stage and come out the other side. I'm actually further down the road than he is. There was a span of maybe three months or so a few years back when it's only by the grace of God that I didn't set my affairs in order, withdraw a bunch of savings, toss a rifle in the truck, drive to Washington, and pot me as many politicians as I could before they got me.

But my perspective is considerably more mature now, because of two points that were revealed to me.

First, it's not useful to be angry at politicians for being corrupt human trash, any more than it would be useful to be angry at fish for swimming or birds for flying. They're politicians; it's who they are and what they do. Anger stems from unmet expectations, and anyone who expects politicians to be anything other than gilded scum is a fool.

Second, when a politician is assassinated, three things happen: he becomes a martyr, with everybody saying how great he was and how sad it is that he's dead (you can see that right here on this thread); and he simply gets replaced with another politician. The depravity of human nature assures that there will always be more garbage standing in line to take his place. Then, of course, the martyr-worshipers beg the State to take more of their liberties away so that their rulers can be safer.

So no, I won't be flying into any rages and killing any politicians. My objective is to suck power away from the State, not to hand it more.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867