Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I believe he meant that it is less reprehensible and more understandable (not justifiable), from his radical anarchist perspective.

Thanks for trying to stick up for me.

Radical, huh? You think I'm radical? Interesting. All I did was accept the premise "Everyone owns himself" and try to follow it to its logical conclusions. Maybe that is radical.

If the Godfather sends out his goons to all the local businesses threatening to break people's legs if they don't pay for their "protection" services and garbage pickup, it's predictable that lots of folks would be angry, and some angry enough to seek out the Godfather to do him in, even though that would not be justified morally or criminally (Although, shooting the goons in self-defense would be, should they actually attempt to carry out their threat).

In my world, if somebody commits a crime (initiates force) against you, you're the only one who's qualified to determine what retaliation is justified. I have no standing to decide, because the crime wasn't committed against me. The State has no standing to decide, because the crime wasn't committed against it.

Of course, if you decide to delegate that decision to somebody who makes a profession of those decisions and is much more likely than you are to come up with a solution that will address the problem without completely screwing up the rest of your life, that's your prerogative. But the decision should be ultimately yours, if you're the victim.

It's just like hiring a plumber. If your pipe freezes and breaks, nobody should say you're not allowed to try to fix it yourself. It's your pipe, your house, your problem, and you have every right to do what you think is appropriate. Lots of people, though, will decide to hire a plumber to take care of it, because they believe his solution will be better and more professional than their own.

Not all politicians, however, are like the Godfather, since some of them are actually working to place government back into its constitutional chains.

That's what they say, for sure. It's interesting, though, how they finance their efforts with the very same sort of extortion that every other politician uses. Also, notice how they always conveniently fail, so that they don't actually have to give up any power.

Barak is a radical anarchist of the anarcho-capitalist bent.

And The_Real_Hawkeye is a minarchist libertarian.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867