Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
No rational, educated person doubts that species evolve. That fact has absolutely no ability to explain how we got here in the first place, IE Miller-Urey.

So your only objection to evolution is the intitial occurence of life but nothing since then is a problem with you? In that case, I'd say you deviate hugely from most posting here.

The math HAS been done, by a lot of Ph.D geneticists/math whizzes, and they say 3.8 Billion times about a million or so years would be required for it to have ever occurred, and there are a LOT of reasons why the universe could never be that old.

REALLY? Care to give a few good citations on math that says it would take at least 3.8 billion-million years for life to evolve? I'd say that there is probably less than about 1% of biologists that would agree. Probably less than 1/10th of 1/10th of 1% but I'll grant you a few orders of magnitude if you can name say - an even dozen at reputable institutions.

pSo, yes, the math has been done, and honest scientists, a lot of them secular-humanist/atheists themselves, say evolution as it is taught to high-schoolers and Bio 101 college freshmen is, as Teller would say, BULLSCHIT!

So, I see you equate honesty with holding your preconceived notions of evolutionary time.

It was either Watson or Crick (the discoverers of the DNA helix) would postulated that life got here from aliens. He, early on, understood the cell was so complex it could never, ever have evolved from non-life, ala Miller-Urey.

Lots has happened since W & C you know. Rather lots.

But in the meantime, alien DNA or not, you are good with the 30 million (+/- 20 million) species evolving from this bit of alien DNA? Cool. You stand out from this crowd of antis.

Last edited by BrentD; 03/14/12. Reason: /

Save an elk, shoot a cow.