Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by carbon12
[quote=Take_a_knee][quote=BrentD]

TAK,

Do you know the difference between 'genetic code' and 'genome'?

You are technically right regarding a hypothetical organism with a deviated genetic code not being able to reproduce but not for the reason you think. Has nothing to do with how mules are made.

Yes, the genome equals 23pr in a human. Code refers to A-T-C-G sequencing.

You are FOS about "mules" having nothing to do with this specious arguement you cooked up.
Variations resulting in evolutionary change occur more gradually than a horse giving birth to a mule. You wouldn't be able to detect any difference from one generation to the next, and if it were favorable, it would only be slightly favorable (e.g., a slightly longer neck), resulting in that line only slightly out competing those without that slight variation during times of survival stress.

Professor TRH, I suspect you are holdinng forth "as prof in this class" based on reading Hugh Ross. While HR is both an intellect, an astrophysicist, and Old Earth Christian, and a deep thinker, and has written many books on this subject debated here, I think he'd be taken back a bit as I am at your dogmatism, at your "this is the way it was" approach. I'm not saying some of your thinking and ideas are not cogent but I'm reminded of a local guy who is known as always being wrong but never in doubt that he is right.

If I'm right about Hugh Ross, he is a very interesting guy. BTW, for the rest of you, he has a website, Reasons to Believe, a Christian apologetics site where he defends Biblical Christianiy from the world of science. There's a twist.

There are gaps, the understanding of which, in the early Genesis scriptural account that neither science nor God (who does reveal through his general revelation--science) has simply not made clear. To this point. That's not to say we shouldn't discuss it but I'm always amazed at those who look to science (our present understanding of God's ordering of the natural world--there is an unnatural world too) as all there is. Just as I am at those who take a rigid Young Earth view of Genesis as "this is the way it is".

For us who believe in Gods revelation, the culmination, again, is Jesus Christ, who comes out of a people, who comes out of a person--Abraham--beginning about Genesis 12. So while G1 to G12 covers the preponderance of time historically and perhaps prehistorically, G12 (Abraham) to now covers the very short time of ~ 4k years. So the emphasis of the majority of the Scriptures is on a holy and just God's redemptive work leading to thecdeath and resurrection of Christ as payment for your
and my sins. Any reader here can be assured of forgiveness and salvation because of this real, personal, and historical act on your behalf. PM me.