Boyd, welcome to the campfire, first off. I don't agree with you, but different viewpoints are always welcome here. That's why this is the best sight on the web. We don't all agree, but we can always disagree without getting personal.
<br>
<br>I just can't see NEVER loosing one at that distance. You've said you've seen guys who didn't know they hit one at 100 yards, but you always know if it's hit at 1000. Must be by ESP. Yes, I've hit deer at 100 yards that didn't act hit. But checking after a shot is as much a part of shooting as taking the safe off. Many times I've killed deer at ranges of 100 to 300 yards, and literaly had to circle around to find them in the weeds or snow, even after watching them drop. But you never fail at more than 3 times the distance? I just have trouble accepting this.
<br>
<br>As to differnt methods of hunting, ie driving deer, baiting deer, and so on, that too is up to the guy doing it. I, myself do mostly still hunting, or by setting in ambush at a spot I know to be frequently used. I just don't enjoy driving deer, and baiting is about as ethical as using a light. But, again that's me talking. The truth is I don't care how anyone does it, even with a light, but you owe it to the deer to do it cleanly.
<br>
<br>I know some bow-hunters who ae very good shots at 50 yards, but will not shoot beyond 35 yards, because too many things can go wrong. I use a 30-06 and a 7 mm Rem Mag, and I practice out to 300 yards. Here too I seldom shoot beyond 200, because there's too much margin for error. I use a flintlock, and can consitantly hit at 100 yards, but again, I don't feel comfortable shooting over 60 yards.
<br>
<br>I apoligize if you feel that I have flamed you. That was not my intent. But I believe that when you pick up a weapon to hunt something, you owe it to that something to do it as cleanly as humanly possible. You're welcome to come down to Bedford and we'll hunt the moutain, and I'd love to try the long range shooting, but I have a real big hang-up about using deer as targets.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden