Dang, Am I the only one here that's gotta work for a living?[Linked Image] I went to bed late Sunday and I'm a good hour behind in my reading![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Well I definatley ruffled some feathers here. If you haven't read my post under 200 DEER, please do so, as it pretty much explains my predjudice on this matter.
<br>
<br>Ther are a few post I want to reply to, then I can hopfely bow out of this cauldron with a little bit of a** intact.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>First of all, Blaine wrote "I find it amusing that many of the guys who bad-mouth ALL long range shooting don't think twice about swinging on a deer 50 yds away running flat-out in heavy cover. I am also tired of hearing about how "noble" these game animals are, etc. If we really thought they were that noble, we wouldn't be killing them. I also fail to see how taking a questionable shot on a deer or elk is "unethical," but taking a questionable shot on a prarrie dog, coyote, or bobcat is okay. This strikes me as very inconsistent reasoning."
<br>
<br>I am very picky about the shots I take, so I seldom miss or cripple. If I do miss I'm usualy very surprised, because I'm pretty sure of a shot before I take it. I'm not trying to say deer are "noble", but I think EVERYONE will agree that they deserve a little more respect than a paper target. If you don't feel that way, pick a new hobby. I never metioned any varmints as I don't have time to hunt them. I will say that it doesn't take near as much snot to kill one as a deer, so you can stretch the range a little more.
<br>
<br>LeeC, I almost blew a gasket reading your post til I realized you were joking. I assume you know what I mean by still hunting, some guys call it stalking. Anyway That's what gives me the most pleasure from hunting. I wouldn't compare that to shooting, which is in fact sitting at a bench.
<br>
<br>Art, do me a favor and re-read my original post. I condemned the long range hunting out of ignorance and predjudice. There was no name calling or derogitory shots taken at anyone. If what I said was taken that way, I apoligize. But do me one favor, grow a thicker skin.
<br>
<br>Now back too the topic De-Jour. I admit I'm very predjudiced here. This is new to me. I hear a**holes all the time telling me about shooting deer out to God knows where, and connecting every time. I work with some of these Bozo's and I hope they put more effort into following up a shot than they do their work. Somehow though, I doubt it. Some guy tells this kind of story, and someone who doesn't know better thinks "I can do that too". A few cretens like this can cause all kinds of grief.
<br>
<br>Now if you Fellows say you follow up each shot, and never loose one, I'll take your word for it. If you're lying, well that's on your tab, not mine. My main concern is allowing cripples to get away without a reasonable effort to recover them. I would imagine that if you were loosing them at that range, you would try to cut the range down. If not, well... like I said it's your tab.
<br>
<br>As to the money such a set up cost, well I hope you agree that I'm entitled to my own opinion. I would think that the time and money invested in such do-dads could be better spent in studying trails and setting up hunting season, but like I said, that's just my opinion. I also thinkthe money spent on human cloning could be better invested in curing cancer. But that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee, so......
<br>
<br>To those of you who are new here, welcome to the campfire. I hope I didn't put anybody off on this site, cause it is the best group of guys (and a few gals) you'll find. We're like a family here, and every family has a few who put their foot in their mouth now and then.
<br>
<br>Boyd. The offer still stands. If you want to come down to Bedford sometime, drop me a line. I'd love to see this long range shooting sometime, but I hope you'll forgive my opinion of doing it on deer.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden